If you’ve ever had a newborn baby in your house, you know how often they can cry- especially late at night. While some parents prefer to let their children “cry it out”, and others will immediately rush to their infant’s side, it’s usually pretty easy to think that nothing is dangerously wrong- the baby may be fussy or uncomfortable or hungry, but nothing to be severely alarmed about.
Luckily, mother Monique Ruppel knew that something was up one night when her baby continued to cry. She just had no idea that her baby’s late night wailing would end up saving the entire family’s life.
“Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep. On Friday at 3 am she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo.” Monique wrote on her Facebook page, recounting the incident.
When she went to go check on her daughter, she felt completely sick. Her husband Kyle woke up soon after and didn’t feel well either.
“We both suffered from dizziness, headache, nausea, and burning eyes.” she remembers. Thankfully, Kyle’s parents arrived to help and call 911. The family was immediately taken to the hospital.
“We were promptly treated for Carbon monoxide poisoning by wonderful doctors and nurses. They took every precaution and air lifted us to Vancouver for treatment. We underwent 3, 2.5 hour dives in a Hyperbaric Chamber. We are all feeling very well and expected to make a full recovery.”
Monique and Kyle’s nausea had been caused by Carbon Monoxide poisoning in their home. If their baby girl’s cries hadn’t woken them up in the night, their situation could have been far more fatal.
Despite an intense recovery treatment, the family is happy to be alive and well, thanks to Celia. “The support we have received this weekend has been incredible. We thank all our friends and family for helping us through.”
It can be easy to dismiss a baby’s discomfort as something trivial or at least not very dangerous, but in this family’s case, it was the exact opposite. Thank goodness they paid close attention to their daughter, because it completely saved their lives.
Monique wraps up her post with some words of advice that everyone should pay attention to: “Please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector and that it works. We are so thankful Celia woke us. We often wished she would sleep through the night but we do not feel that way any more. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all.”
This is a valuable reminder for everyone to triple check that their Carbon Monoxide detector is working- not all of us have a sweet baby girl in the other room to alert us! We’re so happy that the family is doing well.
Share This Story On Facebook!